The F-104 Starfighter was a revolutionary design with short razor-sharp wings. It was the first aircraft to be able to maintain Mach 2 not just in short bursts. The Starfighter shattered speed and rate of climb records that still are impressive today. This extremely high speed earned the plane the nickname "The Missile With A Man In It". Because of financial considerations 15 or more countries purchased the F-104. The Starfighter flew with the USAF in 1958 and the last airplane was decommissioned in Italy in 2004.
Aircraft F-104G 22+67 was manufactured by Messerschmitt as c/n 683D-7036 company model 683-10-19 completing its maiden flight on March 7, 1963. In May 1963 the aircraft was accepted and coded KE+336. The aircraft arrived at Buchel AB late May 1963 in a silver finish. In 1985 JaboG 33 had completed its transition to the Tornado from the F-104G Starfighter. In honor of the long service of the F-104 aircraft 22+67 was given a special "Geiger" paint scheme of a bright yellow with black markings. The aircraft now sits as gate guard at Buchel AB.